Wills and Estates Law: Legal Help for Estate Trustees
An estate trustee (or executor) is the person named in a will who is given the responsibility to manage a person's estate after death. It is not a simple task to wind up an estate and distribute assets to beneficiaries. It can be a complex and time consuming process requiring sound judgement and patience.
If you have been named as estate trustee, you have specific legal and fiduciary duties. Failure to fulfill these responsibilities and comply with all applicable laws, deadlines and regulations can result in costly and complicated litigation. The estate administration lawyers of Elliott & Hills have the knowledge and experience necessary to provide you with the advice and assistance to get the job done.
We provide professional advice and assistance to clients who have been entrusted with the responsibility of administering an estate. We can actively manage the process or advise you regarding issues, such as:
- Winding up and administering the financial estate
- Probating the will, if necessary
- Obtaining releases
- Opening an estate bank account
- Paying final bills and settling claims against the estate
- Preparing and filing of final tax return
- Inventorying and managing estate assets
- Identifying and locating next of kin and beneficiaries
- Interpretation of wills and trusts
- Asset distribution
- Filing the Estate Information Return
- Obtaining a Clerance Certificate from Canada Revenue Agency
Contact Our Oshawa Estate Administration Lawyers
If you are an estate trustee, you can rely on Elliott & Hills for effective and efficient legal services. To arrange a consultation, please contact us by e-mail or call 1 905-571-1774. From offices in Oshawa, Ontario, we represent clients throughout the Durham Region.